The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy


Cheers to the most peculiar and random book that I have read in a while! When we first began reading this book, I did not like it as much because of all the randomness in the story and I was not sure of what to expect about this book besides being a little bit tedious. But as we kept reading, I started to like all this randomness and the interesting effects that it brought to this peculiar story.

I think that Douglas delivered quite a strange world in this story, with all these extraterrestrial creatures that accompany Arthur after the earth is destroyed by Vogons. What I loved the most about it, is that inside all this madness, the story addresses with irony several human actions. The perfect example of this is the part where the planet is about to be destroyed and the Vogons start a dialog with the humans, which perfectly mirrors the situation in which Arthur is stuck at the beginning of the book.

Another part that I thoroughly enjoyed, was the explanation of how the humans were the third most intelligent creature, under the dolphins and how we underestimated them because they preferred a simpler life. In that I agree with the book, sometimes us humans tend to complicate our lives just because.
The other part I think can be taken 
with a lot of irony is the whole situation about the ultimate question and the ultimate answer. Something that we have been looking for since the beginning of times and here is looked out for by the mice and our Earth plays an important part of the equation. With this I rescue not just how you can think about the irony of this, but also how the book addresses the earth as the most powerful computer whereas we tend to think about our planet as something granted, mysterious yet simple and the whole opposite of a computer.

A book that took me by surprise and helped me trough some of my most stressful weeks. I enjoyed it quite a lot, and without doubt will read it again.

Comentarios

Entradas populares